New York — January 6, 2015 — Anavex Life Sciences Corp. (AVXL) welcomes new data published in the current issue of the International Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology (IJNP) revealing that the sigma-1 receptor, the Company’s drug target, interacts positively and directly with the cannabinoid receptor. The current scientific findings indicate that sigma-1 receptor modulation may protect against psychosis possibly connected to cannabis (marijuana) abuse, especially among the young, whose nervous systems are still maturing, or individuals with a genetic predisposition, which could potentially lead to schizophrenia.
Given the potential therapeutic benefit of cannabis as well as the increased use of medical marijuana in the general population, these findings highlight the need for a stronger scientific understanding of cannabis or its components in indications such as neuropathic pain and neurological diseases. Understanding cannabinoid receptor modulation will help reduce the potentially negative influence of cannabis. It will also assist with the development of drugs to treat psychosis possibly caused by cannabis.
AVXL Detailed Quote
|Day's Range:||5.62 - 5.82|
|52wk Range:||2.43 - 8.30|
AVXL Recent Headlines
- ANAVEX LIFE SCIENCES CORP. Files SEC form 8-K, Submission of Matters to a Vote of Security Holders 04/21/2017 10:09 AM
- Can Anavex (AVXL) Run Higher on Strong Earnings Estimate Revisions? 04/13/2017 12:47 PM
- For These Small-Cap Biotech CEOs, Stock Promotion, Not Drug Development, Was Priority No. 1 04/11/2017 05:46 PM
- Anavex Life Sciences Reports New Mechanism of Action Data Related to ANAVEX Compounds Targeting Sigma-1 Receptor 04/03/2017 11:00 AM[GlobeNewswire] - NEW YORK, April 03, 2017-- Anavex Life Sciences Corp., a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing differentiated therapeutics for the treatment of neurodegenerative and neurodevelopmental diseases ...
- Anavex Life Sciences Reports Dismissal of Appeal in the Cortina Lawsuit 03/30/2017 12:00 PM[GlobeNewswire] - NEW YORK, March 30, 2017-- Anavex Life Sciences Corp., a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company developing differentiated therapeutics for the treatment of neurodegenerative and neurodevelopmental diseases ...